Air Filter Replacement
The most important consideration for a homeowner of a heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system is to maintain good air flow in your home with clean filters. Your attention to clean air filter replacement will result in better air quality for you and your family. This very important do-it-yourself job can increase the longevity and efficiency of your system.
You’ll want to replace or clean your filters at least four times a year and as often as every month during high usage times.
There are a number of common filter options available:
- Disposable fiberglass filters are the least expensive and restrictive providing best system performance. However, smaller particles such as pollen and dust can pass through.
- Washable “electrostatic” filters have a static charge that attracts dust, dirt and other matter. These filters can restrict air flow resulting in poor system performance & higher electric bills.
- Pleated “allergy” filters use a much denser material to trap and eliminate large allergens like pollen and dirt. While these may be needed for those of us who have serious allergies, they dramatically reduce air flow. This affects overall system performance, can cause equipment damage and high electrical costs. I would avoid using these unless you absolutely have to!
- Electronic air cleaners create an ionized electrical field that “magnetizes” pollutant particles, up to 94% of smaller particles and up to 80% of airborne viruses if they are very clean. However, their efficiency drops right off the chart when they get just a little dirty.
- HEPA furnace filters are the “gold standard.” These filters are used in places like hospitals and electronics manufacturing where clean air is vital. Unless you have sufficient surface area of filter material to “draw” air through, (2-3 return air filter racks/ducts) these will “kill” your systems performance! If you haven’t had an Air Flow Specialist test your system performance with these filters in place, we recommend not using them.
Are your electric or gas bills unusually high? Have your air conditioning and heating system checked today! Contact Leo of Prescott Air Conditioning and Heating Repair at 928-308-1254 or schedule an assessment/service call.